Talk about Kerala, tasty seafood delicacies, sharp curries, normal sadhya and appetizing desserts come to mind. Be it varieties of halwa, payasam or appams, we are sure, nothing can conflict them. The quintessential use of jaggery, coconut and divert creates these desserts an overwhelming provide to a ambience buds. One of a many distinguished desserts prepared in Kerala is ela ada. This dessert is traditionally prepared in many tools in Kerala and enjoyed during festivals and occasions like Vishu, a New Year of Keralites. Ela translates to banana leaf, that is used to cover ada that is prepared regulating rice, coconut and jaggery. The smell and essence of a banana root in that a ada is wrapped usually adds to a ambience of a steamed dessert.
According to Chef Prem K Pogakula- Executive Chef during The Imperial, New Delhi, “Ada or Ela ada is a normal south Indian delicacy. It is one of a many famous desserts in Kerala and can be found in several areas of Tamil Nadu as well. It is a celestial nonetheless healthy mixture, that has a benevolence of coconut and melted jaggery and hermetic within a covering of steamed rice flour dough. It is served as an dusk break or as a partial of breakfast. Ela ada can be done regulating wheat and rice flour and a fillings can vary. It creates for one of a healthiest delicacies out there given it is steamed and not boiled in oil or ghee like many desserts are.”
(Also Read: Kerala’s Most Delicious Breakfast Dishes You Should Try)
Here’s an extraordinary recipe of ela ada by Chef Prem that you’d adore to prepared during home:
(Also Read: 10 Local Dishes In Kerala You Must Try)
- Jaggery – 200 grams
- Water to warp jaggery- 50ml
- For stuffing ghee – 2 Tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Hot H2O pickled -60ml
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Ghee/Oil – 1 Tsp
- Banana root to hang (dipped in prohibited H2O to wrap)
1. Pour some H2O in a vessel and supplement a jaggery to it.
2. Keep blending kindly to equivocate a jaggery adhering to a aspect of a pan, and warp a jaggery completely.
3. In a far-reaching salsa pan, fry a whole crater of creatively grated coconut in dual teaspoons of ghee. Roast it for a few mins until a colour of a coconut changes slightly.
4. Once roasted, supplement a melted jaggery to a pan, pouring it by a sieve.
5. Mix a coconut and jaggery together. Let it prepare compartment it thickens.
6. Add some cardamom powder and ghee now.
7. Turn off a stove and let it cool.
8. Pour some H2O in a vessel and supplement some salt. Let a H2O come to a boil.
9. Once a H2O starts boiling, spin off a stove.
10. Take a crater of rice flour and a teaspoon of ghee in a blending bowl.
11. Pour a prohibited H2O in a play and brew well.
12. Mix a flour compartment we get good tough dough.
13. Now, take a banana root and cut it adult into several pieces, to sign and prepare a adas.
14. Take some brew and hurl it in your palm to form tiny balls.
15. Flatten a brew and place it on a centre of a banana root piece. Pat a brew to squash it evenly.
16. Now, place some of a jaggery-coconut reduction in a centre and widespread it.
17. Fold a root and sign it, creation certain to press down on all sides.
18. Once a steamer is ready, place a banana root on a tray and put it in a steamer. Steam prepare for about 10 to 15 minutes.
19. Voila! Your ela adas are prepared to be served, good and hot.
Tips to remember:
You can boost or diminution a volume of jaggery used formed on your ambience preference. If we cite your desserts to have reduction sweetness, we can diminution a apportion of jaggery to about 150 grams, and if we cite it intensely sweet, afterwards we can somewhat boost a quantity.
This Kerala specialty is all you’d need to provide your ambience buds. Do let us know if we have tasted ela ada or prepared it during home!